I knew I wanted 3 things incorporated into the tattoo: The last names of my parents, the Philippine coat of arms, and some philippine neo-tribal patterns. I got to the studio at 11:30am and the sketch work began. Aleks spent about an hour drawing the design on me free-hand, making many changes due to the fact that he is a perfectionist when it comes to his work, and it had to be done just right. After he finished free-handing the design, he told me that this design was something different than what he has done in the past and that he liked the direction that it was headed in. He stepped back and told me to look into the mirror. I was blown away. I had different sharpie colors outlining the design, and I could tell it was going to be awesome.
Next, I got into the chair, he fired up his tattoo machine and started to make the first line on my tricep. I experienced 3 different feelings while being tattoo'd. At first it was like duct tape was being pulled from my skin; After about an hour, when I was numbing out the pain, it felt like a tickling-buzzing vibration, and towards the end when I was fatigued (5 hours in) it felt like a hot knife cutting your skin.
After 5-6 hours and 3 15 minute breaks, my tattoo was done. I looked in the mirror and was even more amazed at what I saw than the first time. The shading, the intricate brush-stroke like lines in the alibata, and the overall shape were more than I could have ever imagined. I walked in with an idea, and walked out with a masterpiece. Aleks incorporated crocodile skin patterns for strength and protection, different plant and leaf patterns representing a solid foundation, good health, and long life, and repeating patterns of 4 representing the number of people in my family.
If you need work done, don't hesitate to see Aleks. Make an appointment because he's usually booked 2 months in advance.
Aleks Figueroa
Dream Jungle Tattoo
724 E. Anaheim St.
Long Beach, CA 90813
562.608.8888
Fin.
No comments:
Post a Comment